The Facebook algorithm change has those who manage business pages wondering…
One thing that always holds true in the field of Internet Marketing is that the landscape is always changing. It’s not uncommon that the best ways to reach an audience online today can be totally different six months from now. Facebook made an announcement stating that in 2018, the algorithm that determines what content comes up first in your news feed will focus more on personal connections with less emphasis on posts that are published by businesses and media.
While it may seem that’s good reason to panic for small businesses that have relied on Facebook as an avenue of reaching individuals in their target market for free, this news doesn’t necessarily mean that marketing on Facebook is no longer a viable option. It only means that the rules have changed.
So, let’s take a deep breath, and reassess our marketing strategies going forward.
Facebook users who want to see posts from their favorite brands will still be able to do so. Options will be available on the News Feed tab for users to prioritize which business pages and friends they want to hear from.
What does that mean for marketers and small business owners who want to continue to reach an audience on Facebook? It means that now is a good time to make adjustments in your content marketing strategy to ensure the material you are posting is better than ever.
Certain kinds of content that have proven to be more interactive will now be shown more often to more users. This includes live video, content shared in private groups, and other posts that immediately get a lot of likes, comments, and shares.
Here are a few tips to combat the Facebook Algorithm Change.
- Post content that provides value. Inform, entertain, evoke emotion, and engage.
- Learn from using Facebook Insights (connected to your business page) to review your brand’s previously shared content to see what posts gained the most response, and follow suit.
- Use video designed to spark conversation – especially live video. It’s the fastest growing format for delivering information.
- Try storytelling. Harness this approach in sharing information. Be transparent and share your story. Think of how it feels when you get tied into a good storyline and you can hardly wait to find out what’s happening next!
- Use content that drives interaction. Ask questions, use surveys, get users to give their feedback.
- Use Facebook Advertising. There is a learning curve, but figuring out the guidelines, coming up with great content, and gauging results will pay off in the long run.
Finally, look beyond Facebook for creative methods of reaching new audiences. Content marketing is a superb method of building a following for your brand, and Facebook is by no means the only outlet for social sharing. Experiment with other social platforms – most especially, YouTube! People are so into consuming video content these days, YouTube is now the 2nd largest search engine. Being effective in marketing your business on YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn Snapchat, Instagram and even some of the newer social platforms can quickly attract new followers, raise brand awareness, and drive new traffic to your website too.
In light of so many changes on the horizon, including the Facebook algorithm change, when it comes to being competitive on the web, does your business need help in establishing a solid digital marketing strategy going forward? Get in touch with Innovast Digital Marketing TODAY to take the first step.